Buying a cool walkie talkie like a Baofeng device is just the first step in two-way handheld wireless communication. Because some Baofeng models are high-end hybrid units, using them can be confusing to first-timers.
The question of how to connect Baofeng walkie talkie to other radios is a common one among people new to the device.
Fortunately, it is very easy to do it. And this is a good thing since nobody wants a device that requires you to waste too much time learning the ropes.
Today I’m going to show you how to program your BaoFeng to match up with any FRS/GMRS 2-way handheld radio; and also how to connect it to weather channels to receive weather transmissions and alerts.
How to connect Baofeng walkie talkie to other walkie talkies
What you need
- A Baofeng walkie talkie
- A second walkie talkie from a different manufacturer
- A second Baofeng walkie talkie if you want to connect to another Baofeng device.
Before we start, you should know that you need a GMRS license to operate the Baofeng legally.
- Turn on the Baofeng. If your BaoFeng model comes with the voice feature the device’s voice would tell confirm if you are on either the ‘frequency’ or ‘Channel’ mode.
- With the radio turned on, make sure it is on frequency move. If it is on channel mode, press the top left organs button to change it to frequency mode.
- In the frequency mode, simply hit the menu button followed by the ‘7’ numeric button to lock down the menu for you.
- In the menu, use the down arrow button and scroll to the power setting to choose a transmission power that doesn’t violate the FCC’s policies on using these type of walkie talkie without a license.
- The highest transmitting power of the Baofeng is 8 watts. The lowest is 1 Watt. If the power setting is already high, use the down arrow to switch it to low.
- Once it is on low power, confirm it by pressing the menu button and then hit the exit button that is located beside the down arrow button on the right side of the device.
- The next step is to determine what channel you want to broadcast on. A quick way to do this is to head to Google and search for ‘frequencies of FRS channels.’
The Google result page would bring up many websites. Any of the top websites on the front page should be okay. Click anyone to get the FRS frequencies to use.
- If you are trying to connect the Baofeng to an FRS radio, you want to make sure your choice is an FRS frequency because almost all the websites would list both GMRS and FRS frequencies.
- After selecting a channel, note/copy the frequency. Go back to the Baofeng device that is still in the frequency mode and type in the frequency using the numeric keypad.
- Now, turn on the other walkie talkie. Select the same channel you had programmed in the Baofeng.
How to select or change channels depends on the type of walkie talkie you want to connect the Baofeng to. In most handheld two-way radios, it is simply by turning a dial at the top of the radio to make it easy for folks to switch channels during operations.
- Once you select the same channel, you are done. Both walkie talkies are now connected to the same frequency and can now communicate with each other.
- If the second radio has keypads, you might have to also input the frequency number to match the frequency you programmed in the Baofeng.
- To connect the Baofeng walkie talkie to the second Baofeng unit, simply follow the same steps above and you are good to go.
To confirm you are now connected, press the PTT button on the other device and transmit any message. You would hear your voice loud and clear through the Baofeng’s speakers.
In Baofeng models like the UV5RA, the display turns blue and the indicator below the power button turns green to show there is an incoming transmission.
How to connect Baofeng Walkie Talkie to weather stations
- First, you need to know the exact frequencies of the weather station in your area. You can get the frequencies of the closest weather station on this website.
- Copy the frequencies
- Then simply input the number representing the weather station’s frequency into the Baofeng device.
If you get the frequency right, you would start receiving transmissions from that weather station.
One good thing about Baofeng walkie talkies is that you can program these frequencies either manually or using your laptop so you don’t have input the frequencies any time you want to listen to a weather station.
You should now be able to connect Baofeng walkie talkie with ease. Remember to try and use your gadgets responsibly. And if you want to operate the Baofeng at a higher transmission power outdoors, the smart move is to get a license to avoid getting into trouble with the FCC.